The concept of a European Service Centre for Official Statistics, ESCOS, calls the stakeholder communities to adopt the idea and build the service.
The ESCOS' central tasks would be to
- establish a comprehensive web service for microdata from official statistics in Europe, which would include the metadata, routines, discussion forums for research and sharing tools
- promote the use of the official statistics' microdata by hosting training courses, organizing user conferences and by incentivizing research
- improve data access
- support a European Remote Access Network.
Improving data access would involve
- providing information on access conditions, access sites and application procedures
- supporting expansion of transnational access networks and harmonisation of the conditions of use through Europe
- supporting researchers and the European Statistical System in accreditation.
Thus the Service Centre would essentially take up the legacy of the DwB and go beyond it.
More information about ESCOS
» Read more and listen to the audio recordings on the EDAF event page Session 5.
» Go to the DwB Deliverables to read the full report (D5.1 updated v. April 2015).